Your dog is family and we know you’d do anything to protect them, which is why we put together this list of the best car seats for dogs that you can get in Australia.
Legally speaking, the rules about how to secure a dog inside a car can vary across different states.
You can check with your local road traffic authority to learn more about what rules may apply to you.
For example, in Queensland there’s no legal requirement to restrain animals when they’re being driven.
But, it’s still strongly recommended, both to keep your dog safe, and to prevent your pet from distracting you while driving, which in fact would be an offence.
Table of Contents
- What is the safest way for a dog to travel in a car?
- What is the best car seat for dogs?
- Car Harness for small, medium, and large to extra-large dogs
- Dog Car Seatbelt
- 2-in-1 Car Seatbelt & Leash
- Car crates and cages for dogs
What is the safest way for a dog to travel in a car?
It depends on the size and temperament of your dog, but generally speaking, these are your options to safely restrain your dog in a car:
- Car seatbelt for dogs
- Car seat for dogs
- Car crate/carrier for dogs
- Car harness for dogs
What is the best car seat for dogs?
A car seat for your dog can make car trips more comfortable, but they may not restrain and secure your dog, which is important too.
In other words, additionally to a dog car seat (which has the nice side-effect of protecting your car seat from dog hair) your dog should be restrained with a dog seatbelt or a car harness to keep them safe.
This helps to prevent your dog from distracting you while driving, and it can further protect your dog in the event of an accident.
Car seat for small dogs
- Stylish, award-winning booster seat
- Installs quickly and securely on any bucket seat
- Metal supports for structural integrity, collapsible for easy storage
- Available in different colors
- From $89.98. See on Amazon
Car Harness for small, medium, and large to extra-large dogs
- Some harnesses, like the one above, have a special buckle system so that they can be used as a car harness
- It can also be used as an every-day harness, but when used with the included seatbelt tether, it keeps your dog safe in a car accident.
- The Kurgo harness above has been crash-tested on established University ground facilities (Accredited by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration), using the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) for child restraint systems.
- Lifetime Warranty. From $36. See on Amazon
Dog Car Seatbelt
- Heavy-duty seatbelt that fits most sizes
- A quick & simple solution that attaches to your pre-existing harness
- Available in 4 different colors
- From $11.45. See on Amazon
2-in-1 Car Seatbelt & Leash
- If you prefer a minimalistic life, check out this 2-in-1 design that can be used as both a dog leash and a car seatbelt buckle for your dog
- From $25.99. See on Amazon
Car crates and cages for dogs
If you’re looking for a high-end, crash-tested dog crate to go in the trunk of your car, find your closest stockist of Variocage in Australia.
If your dog travels in the trunk of your car, you might enjoy our article about dog ramps: The Savvy Dog Ramp Buyer Guide (7+ Questions Answered)