Disclosure: Dogs of Australia is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we sometimes earn an affiliate commission at no added cost to you. Learn more
When it comes to finding the ideal Golden Retriever harness, the choices can be overwhelming. Just like other dog breeds, Golden Retrievers come in various sizes and shapes, making it crucial to select the right harness design that suits your dog’s unique needs.
The key is to prioritise the right harness style rather than fixating on a particular brand. Golden Retrievers, known for their active and friendly nature, need a harness that allows them to move freely. Consider starting with a ‘Y’-shaped harness, which is a good fit for their shoulder mobility.
Additionally, here are some essential features to look for in a high-quality Golden Retriever harness:
- Adjustable Straps: Ensure the harness has adjustable straps to provide a comfortable and secure fit for your dog.
- Easy-to-Use Clips: Opt for harnesses with quick-release clips, allowing you to put it on and take it off without hassle.
- Durable Stitching: Look for strong stitching to ensure the harness remains intact even during energetic walks.
- Sturdy Material: A harness made from durable materials not only lasts longer but also keeps your Golden Retriever safe.
- Back Handle: Having a handle on the back of the harness can be particularly useful for controlling your dog, especially for active breeds like Golden Retrievers.
Our Golden Retriever Harness Recommendation:
Finding the perfect harness might require some searching, but it’s worth it to ensure enjoyable walks for both you and your Golden Retriever.
To help you get started, we recommend this harness that checks all the boxes at a reasonable price point:
PoyPet No Pull Dog Harness
✅ Easy to Use: Quick release snap buckles at the neck and chest for simple on and off, without the struggle of pulling it over the dog’s head.
✅ No Pull & No Choke: Designed with 2 metal leash attachments – front D-ring stops pulling and is great for training, back D-ring for casual walks. Evenly distributes pressure to prevent choking.
✅ Safe & Comfortable: Reflective straps for nighttime visibility and safety. A sturdy padded handle for quick control. Mesh lining for breathability, ensuring comfort all day.
✅ Adjustable Fit: Four adjustable straps for a customised fit. Soft, comfortable, and does not rub or irritate your dog’s skin.
What size harness should a Golden Retriever have?
Golden Retrievers, known for their friendly demeanour and athletic build, typically require a medium to large-sized harness. However, each Golden Retriever is unique, so measuring your dog is essential to ensure a perfect fit.
Measuring Your Golden Retriever
Begin by measuring your Golden Retriever’s neck where the collar sits, and then measure the widest part of their chest, just behind the front legs. Most harness manufacturers provide size charts, allowing you to compare your dog’s measurements with the chart to find the best fit.
Considerations for Golden Retriever Puppies
For Golden Retriever puppies, keep in mind that they grow quickly. You might need a harness that offers more adjustment to accommodate their growth. Harnesses with adjustable straps are ideal, allowing you to customize the fit as your pup grows.
Ensuring the Perfect Fit
A well-fitting harness should be snug but not tight. You should be able to fit two fingers under any strap. A harness that’s too loose may lead to chafing or even allow your dog to escape, while one that’s too tight could cause discomfort or restrict movement.
Remember, a properly sized harness not only enhances your Golden Retriever’s comfort but also ensures their safety, making walks and training sessions more enjoyable for both of you.
Should Golden Retrievers wear a harness?
Your Golden Retriever can wear a collar or a harness, but it’s important that your dog is trained to not pull on the leash.
If your Golden Retriever pulls on the leash, you’re facing the following problems:
- A harness can actually promote pulling and make the behaviour worse
- A collar will cause breathing issues to your dog if they pull while attached to a leash, which at worst case, can result in medical issues
For leash-trained dogs, the main reason many dog owners choose a harness over a collar is to add an extra layer of safety and comfort when they take their dogs out. For example, if you need to quickly pull your dog away from something (think another dog, or a bicycle, …) it’s nicer for the dog to be pulled away while wearing a harness, rather than being dragged away on a collar.
If you’re struggling to teach your Golden Retriever how to walk on a loose leash, it’s best to seek help from a qualified dog trainer. You can ask your regular vet if they can recommend a good trainer near you.
Exploring Different Types of Harnesses for Golden Retrievers
Let’s unravel the various terms and types of harnesses available, helping you make an informed choice for your Golden Retriever. Understanding these differences is key to finding the perfect harness for your furry friend:
- Standard Harness: This common design evenly distributes leash force across the dog’s chest and back. Ensure it doesn’t restrict shoulder blade movement. Ideal for well-behaved dogs that don’t excessively pull.
- No-Pull Harness: Best suited for dogs that tend to pull, these harnesses have a front leash attachment that redirects your dog towards you when they pull. Note that a no-pull harness complements but doesn’t replace proper leash training.
- Step-In Harness: This design is user-friendly; your dog steps into the harness, and it buckles over their back. It’s a great choice for dogs uncomfortable with harnesses going over their head.
- Tactical Harness: Built for durability, tactical harnesses often come with additional features like handlebars and storage pouches, making them ideal for working dogs or those engaging in rugged outdoor activities.
- Leather Harnesses: Known for their durability and classic style, leather harnesses are strong and can become very comfortable once broken in. However, they may require more maintenance compared to other materials.
Choosing the right harness tailored to your Golden Retriever’s needs ensures both comfort and control during your outdoor adventures. Whether you’re strolling through the neighbourhood or embarking on a outback expedition, the right harness can make all the difference.